Offering Personalized Support Every Step Of The Way

Frequently Asked Questions About Motor Vehicle Collisions

Once you have been involved in a collision with another automobile, your life can seem to contain an unending series of questions, such as:

  • How can I keep paying my bills if I cannot work?
  • How can I take care of my family from this hospital bed?
  • What if there is not enough money for a surgery or another treatment that I need?

You do not have to rely on advice from friends, family or your insurer for answers to critical questions after a car accident. Amity Legal Associates, PS, led by lawyer Geoffrey Kim, provides clear information about personal injury lawsuits after an auto accident.

Motor Vehicle Collision FAQ

Bring your questions such as the following about car accidents and other personal injury claims to attorney Kim’s attention.

Why should I consider hiring an attorney to handle my car accident claim?

Filing a claim after an injury accident is not suitable as a “do-it-yourself” challenge. Work with a personal injury attorney who handles accident claims every day and understands how Washington state’s laws can impact the outcome of a case. With representation on a contingency basis from lawyer Geoffrey Kim at Amity Legal Associates, PS, you have nothing to lose financially, and a good chance at receiving more compensation than what you could recover on your own.

Should I file a claim with my own insurance company if the accident was the other driver’s fault?

In two instances, yes. First, through your contract with your insurance provider, you may successfully file a claim with your own insurer to have your vehicle repaired, minus your deductible. Also, if you were injured and the at-fault motorist was uninsured, your under/uninsured motorist (UM/UIM) insurance may be your only path to adequate financial recovery.

How can an attorney settle my car accident claim with my insurer?

Many things could threaten your chances of getting the money you need out of your claim. If an insurance company sees you are not being represented by a lawyer, they may try to:

  • Force you to settle quickly for money less than you need
  • Send out an insurance adjuster who will record everything you say and do, and look for holes or inconsistencies in your statements so they can deny or minimize your claim
  • Delay or deny your claim even if you have a solid legal case

If you have serious medical and financial needs after a car collision, hiring a personal injury attorney sends a signal to the insurance companies that you are serious about your claim, even if that means going to court.

What compensation may be available in an auto accident case?

You may ask for two types of damages after an auto accident injury: economic losses and noneconomic losses.

Economic losses are damages that are easier to place a specific monetary value on, such as:

  • Medical bills and hospitalizations
  • Wage or income loss if you are unable to work
  • Lost future income opportunities due to disability
  • Property damage (to your car)
  • Ongoing medical or logistical services (physical therapy or housekeeping services if you can no longer care for your house)

Noneconomic losses can be harder to quantify but provide accountability for the lasting damage a car collision can include. Examples include:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Permanent disfigurement
  • Loss of enjoyment of life due to post-accident limitations
  • Loss of companionship in case of a wrongful death

Your attorney can gather the evidence related to your case and help you build a damages claim that will stand up in court or lead to a settlement that meets all of your needs.

More Questions About Car Accidents? Get Answers.

At Amity Legal Associates, PS, clients benefit from a friendly, working relationship and a determined pursuit of results. Reach us by calling our office in Bellevue, Washington, at 206-338-6402 or sending an email message to set up an appointment.